Sunday, January 30, 2011

The first post!


Hello! I'm Jessica Weinkam, a sophomore at UW Stout majoring in Studio Art and minoring in Psychology. I still haven’t decided on my Studio concentration but I’m definitely leaning towards drawing, just not sure what kind of drawing (who knows, maybe life drawing! :D) My game plan after this is to go to grad school to become an Art Therapist. I want to change lives, and not to sound like a commercial for poor African kids, but literally one child at a time. Children are our future. If we don’t help them grow emotionally and mentally, then what kind of leaders will we have tomorrow? 

The first two images included are of pieces I created last spring in Drawing II. One is a small charcoal drawing of a zebra I saw at the zoo. The assignment was to portray something in 35 inches. You could space out those inches in whatever proportion you’d like to on the page; I chose 3x11.6 inches to give a thin window of the picture. I wanted to portray my love of photo-realism and black and white. Two very simple concepts, but if executed correctly, in my opinion, can be very effective/interesting.
 
The second is a self-portrait in pastel of my ‘alter’ 
ego. I chose to represent myself through jealousy/envy (a not so attractive quality of mine) and my protective nature. I used ‘green envious wide eyes’ and my protective hand placements to try and get my idea across.
Also included are three sketches from class. They’re one or two minute sketches. I need to work on my proportions but I’m sure with time I’ll get better at the quick sketches and showing muscle mass with only a few lines.



 I'm pretty excited for Life Drawing. Since I’m considering life drawing as my concentration I’m really taking this class seriously. Even though I’d rather work on a drawing for two weeks off of a picture than work on a still life for a couple hours, but I’m pretty sure most people are like that. And I don’t think there’s a class offered like that at Stout anyways. But overall, I’ve got pretty high expectations for this class to learn the structure behind the human body to improve my art.

No comments:

Post a Comment