Friday, February 18, 2011

Body land marks

Life drawing this week was mainly focused on the pelvis for the drawing portion, and the glutes and quads for the clay mannequin part. It felt good to get another land mark down in my drawings. Kind of made me want to go back and look at my original gesture drawings. I wonder if I drew the spinal column, egg, and now pelvis into my old drawings, how close I would match up? Like how far off was I when I was making my original drawings? Just something I was curious about.

For my included picture this week I'm doing the 45 minute drawing we did today of our male model's torso and pelvis. It's not a great drawing, but I liked it more than most of my gestures so I decided to include it. I added a little shading, which I don't think I was supposed to do, but oh well. I've always liked to put details like that in on drawings and because we had 45 minutes I definitely couldn't resist. I also threw in the mini heater just for fun haha. I've been posting on of my Friday pieces lately I think and that's probably because I feel like throughout the week I have learned more and more, and by Friday I've had so much consistent practice that week that I'm at my best.

This is a minor detail, but lately at the gym I've been doing shoulder workouts so that my shoulder won't cramp up or get sore if I'm doing an extremely active drawing. I don't know if it helped because I never felt pain in the first place, I just did it because I didn't ever want to have a sore shoulder! But anyways, figured if anyone is feeling shoulder pain it might help, just grab like a 5 lb weight, and do some exercises.

2 comments:

  1. hahah...funny post. I loved how you incorporated details within the drawing that were perhaps unnecessary when we are just focusing on the figure. The last paragraph discussing about the sore shoulders was funny because I think it's something we all can relate to. As far as the drawing goes I think you can experiment with different line qualities to help present the idea of atmospheric perspective. Other than that the rest of the drawing appears to look good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to apologize ahead of time for not posting on your previous blogs... unfortunately my brain forgot to tell me that I needed to do that. I like what you are addressing in your posts and that I can relate to both of them: the shading, and the working out. One of my favorite things about drawing is shading and I wish that we had more freedom to do that but right now we all have to wait... (grrr) About the working out, I like how you mentioned it because I have also been thinking about that when I work out and yes I've been more shoulder exercises (giggle)

    ReplyDelete