Wednesday, May 11, 2011

It's more than just a fruit in a box.

 Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/60148576@N04/

This semester flew by for me. Hah I wonder how many people will start out their blogs similarly? Seems to be a common thought lately. But anyways, life drawing was one of those classes that probably changed my perception of the world as an artist the most this semester. I've decided to make life drawing my concentration (a huge commitment and journey I'm extremely excited to begin starting with life drawing 2 next semester). This has changed my thought process on still lives completely. Back in my earlier drawing classes I hated still lives, but now I'm excited by the idea. Even fruit and box still lives seem to have more life to me now.

I learned so many things about the body that have actually helped in my other art classes this semester, particularly painting. I learned about proportions, especially the head these past few weeks. My strengths are in my mark making. I feel as though I do expressive line work and it shows through my drawings. I also think I've improved a lot of proportions like I previously said. I've learned great things about measuring and drawing in planes to make sure everything matches up. My weaknesses lie in one of my strengths. Because I have such expressive mark making, I often draw dark and harsh from the beginning and it is difficult for me to later add in atmospheric perspective. I also am sometimes hasty and will miss tiny details that would have improved my drawing very much if I slowed down and took more time to observe.

The mannequin was a big part of my drawings earlier in the semester when we were learning about the glutes, art muscles and land marks like that. Recently, I haven't thought about the mannequin much other than the standard reminder here and there. But early on, I was constantly aware that I wanted my drawings to embody parts of my mannequin and vice versa. This course meant a lot to me and I'm really glad I took it early on and was able to find what I want to focus on throughout college. It won't have much of an effect on my future career, but this is just for me because I enjoy it the most out of any other studio class. I hope everyone else enjoyed this class as much as I have and have a great summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment