Friday, March 25, 2011

Head, shoulders, knees, and toes

Monday and Tuesday this week dragged so ridiculously slowly by. Wednesday with the whole snow day thing made it go by faster, but it still seemed like a longggg week. With life drawing more specifically, we worked on our clay mannequins to put the shoulder muscles in. The muscles helped me a little, but the shoulder bone is one of the most confusing parts on the body for me. I just don't understand what it looks like underneath with all the different angles that the models give us. It's getting really frustrating because this is the first real roadblock I've felt like I've come up against so far in life drawing. Maybe I just need to give it more time, but right now I just don't understand it for some reason.

Wednesday's long drawing went pretty well though. I think because we're adding so much to our drawings now, I hate the 30 second ones and love the 3 minute ones. I just feel rushed and like I'm doing a poor job with the shorter timed drawings. And that definitely adds to my frustration with my shoulder bone issues. But anyways, the long drawings was fun. I had a side angle which didn't help my shoulder bone problem because I really didn't practice it. But I did get to practice one angle of it as well as getting the clavicles in there which was good. I like this drawing for the most part. I didn't get to finish it because I didn't have enough time to put her left arm in, up on the pillows which was kind of a bummer. The super large muscle assignment this weekend will probably keep me busy, hopefully it goes well. Hope everyone else had a good first week back and it didn't drag on as slowly as mine!

2 comments:

  1. I can say I have the same issues with the shoulder area...and yes the week has been pretty long for some reason. Anyways your drawings seem to be getting better as the class is moves forward. I was not there for Wednesday's class, but it was good that you guys got to do some longer drawings. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you about the first week and about how long it felt like it took to push through it... but the most important part is that we're through it and now we are on a casual walk to bigger and better things. My week was really stressful as well but I'm glad to hear that you did well in your long drawings in spite of that... Your drawings are looking good and I like the definition in the shoulder area. It's always a problem to be drawing from weird angles on the model.

    ReplyDelete