Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Midterm? No way. Already? Sheesh!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60148576@N04/

Above is the link to my Flickr account as requested. I hope i included the right link, Flickr is completely new to me and super foreign.
So... onto discussing this semester thus far. I honestly can't believe its already midterm. Sure I've learned a lot but I also feel like just yesterday I started drawing again. It's been since last spring semester that I've had a drawing class, by the way. I guess when I break it down proportions is the biggest thing I've learned. I feel like I really am starting to understand the proportion between the upper body compared to the lower body, then comparing the ribcage to the pelvis, etc. I think one of my best examples of this is seen in "Two Minute Gesture Drawing 2" Where you can see the rib cage and pelvis, as well as the shoulder and pelvis angles.

I never really understood the spine until this class. The different sections, especially the lumbar on women, is extremely important in the defining the rest of the figure. I probably wouldn't have realized that on my own or used it as such a deciding factor of the body's angles. I think what I want to learn most about next is strange angles of the body. We've been doing the crisp, clean straight from the front, side, or back; but I'm interested in learning how to draw things that are more like everyday life. Not too crazy, but just things we haven't drawn yet. A figure sitting Indian style, or crossing their legs. I guess I'm not completely sure what I want to learn, just some different angles I suppose. That's why I drew "Fifteen Minute Long Drawing" because it was a completely new angle for me, I had never drawn anything like that before. I really enjoyed it and challenging myself. Just a breath of fresh air.

Looking at the long drawing I drew on Wednesday (in this week's blog) I notice my ribcage and pelvis are pretty accurate... but I don't know what I was thinking when I drew her thighs. I'm pretty sure I did them last and apparently didn't check them over enough because they don't match up well to the rest of the body. Other than that I'm decently happy with it. Overall, I'm excited for the rest of this semester, it's pretty promising I'll be able to get some strong human figure knowledge and drawings out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment